The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson: The Vault Series, Volumes 1 - 6 contains the best of The Tonight Show from over 30 years and 4,000 shows, including material not seen by the public since their original broadcasts. Included are 12 full shows as they aired (with or without the included commercials - your choice) and feature the 10th and 11th Anniversary Shows, Johnny's Birthday Episodes, plus a week of shows as Parts 1 and 2 of A Week in March 1976. You'll enjoy the Mighty Carson Art Players with Carol Wayne as the Matinee Lady in the "Tea Time Movie," Johnny as Carnac the Magnificent and as Aunt Blabby, Joan Embery and her exotic animals, a Hollywood stunt-woman demonstration, a performance and interview with the energetic James Brown, and the Beatles Paul McCartney. And, the most memorable performance of all with Johnny dressed to the rhinestone hilt atop a donkey and singing his rendition of "Rhinestone Cowboy."
This late-night variety show consists of six discs with exceptional Bonus materials. The guest stars are innumerable and Johnny has great comradery with them all. Here's just a portion of who and what you will see in this series:
- Disc 1 is the 10th Anniversary Special from Fall 1972 and stars Dean Martin, Jack Benny, Jerry Lewis, Don Rickles, Bob Hope, Dom DeLuise, John Denver, and Peter Fonda, among others with a Bonus Interview with Peaches Jones and a stunt demonstration.
- Disc 2 is filled with Johnny's Birthday Shows starring Buddy Hackett, Lana Cantrell, Mike Preminger, Paul McCartney, Mary Gross, Jonathan Brow and more. The Bonus Content contains Interviews with David Letterman and Joe Piscopo.
- Disc 3 is a Trip Back to December 1975 starring Sean Connery, Michael Caine, David Brenner, Bob Hope, Dean Martin, Charles Nelson Reilly, among others with a Bonus Interview with Lucille Ball.
- Disc 4 is A Week in March 1976 (Part 1) starring Charlton Heston, Michael Landon, Orson Welles, John Byner, Susan Clark, and more with a Bonus Show opening, monologue and desk with Johnny and Ed.
- Disc 5 is A Week in March 1976 (Part 2) starring Robert Blake, Don Rickles, Bob Hope, Desi Arnaz Sr., Bing Crosby, Ray Bolger, Marvin Hamisch, and others with a Visit from Joan Embery for the Bonus Content.
- Disc 6 consists of the 11th Anniversary Show from Fall 1973 starring Muhammad Ali, Ken Norton, Karen Valentine, Joel Grey, Dean Martin, Burt Reynolds, Don Rickles and Buddy Hackett. The Bonus Material consists of a sketch and a performance/interview with James Brown.
The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson: The Vault Series, Volumes 1 - 6 is a must-have series for fans of the show. When Dean Martin, Bob Hope, Charles Nelson Reilly, Jack Benny, and Don Rickles get together, there is no stopping the laughter. It's great to watch! Now, of course, some of these superb actors might get a little bit obscene, so watch it before you let the little ones view. There's an episode starring Marvin Hamisch, Bing Crosby, and Ray Bolger where all three artists perform and there is an outstanding song and dance number performed by Bolger that's incredible, considering he's such an agile dancer while in his 70's! Dean Martin is one of my all-time favorites and he will make you laugh just listening to him. But the best of all is Johnny's vocal of "Rhinestone Cowboy" that's a real hoot! So my recommendation is that this series is one of the best collections of The Tonight Show that I've ever seen and you don't want to miss adding this to your library!